Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Rest and Hiding

"There is a difference between hiding and resting. When we hide, we are afraid. When we rest, we are wise. It can take time to figure out which one is at work. But once we notice the signs, we'll know for next time."

~~~

Tomorrow I am going to finish a story I've been struggling with for a good year and a half. And then, I am going to gather all of these stories together into a Bigger Thing (a book? let's just stick with manuscript), and I am going to email the Thing to my committee.

And then I will be able to breathe--if only one breath before diving back in and revising, and revising, and revising.

(For better or for worse, I tend to do a lot of revision even while composing a first draft. It makes getting stories out of my system pretty difficult, but perhaps I already have the lungs of a swimmer?)

No comments:

Post a Comment