Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Still no camera, but plenty of yarn ...

Yesterday my friend Evangeline and I went to Natural Stitches. I needed to pick up another skein of Tosh DK for the baby blanket; Evangeline needed yarn and needles for her first lace shawl.

As we browsed the fingering weight yarn looking for something appropriately soft and neutral for her Haruni, I noticed a ton of Jamieson, and I felt very clever, because I recognized it. Let me explain: right now I am reading Sweater Quest by Adrienne Martini, which I am very much enjoying. She chronicles her year of "knitting dangerously"--in other words, tackling a very difficult Fair Isle sweater by the very famous knitting designer, Alice Starmore. In it she writes about her own knitting, about other knitters, about the history of the craft, and about yarn and fiber. (It's the kind of book about knitting that I wish there were more of*--very Creative Nonfiction.) Anyway, Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift plays an important role, both in the history of Alice Starmore designs, and in the knitting of the title sweater.

So I saw the shelves of it in the store and thought, a-ha! That stuff!

As I go along, I am becoming more and more familiar with various yarns, designers, techniques, etc. I feel the knitting part of my brain slowly expanding and adding layers. And it is a contented sort of feeling.

When Keith gets home I shall nab his camera and take a (poorly lit) picture of the baby blanket, and hopefully I will get an official yarn along post in today.



*I've been thinking a lot lately about writing and knitting. The kinds of things I'd like to read--and perhaps to write? I will probably blog about this someday ...

1 comment:

  1. I really love that store! I could spend hours in it and really buy a LOT of yarn :D

    ReplyDelete