1. I finished Something Other Than God 2.5 days after starting it. Considering I have three mouths to feed, three butts to diaper, three sets of voices to respond to when they cry out ... that's a dang fast read. I couldn't stop turning the pages! My copy is now in the hands the first friend I saw after finishing it; I imagine it will visit a few other people before finding its true home on my shelf. (Or maybe its true home is in the hands of people. :) )
2. Why isn't one of the categories in the release contest "Best Picture of the Book with Babies?" Because I would totally win that one, right?
3.The parts of the book that touched me the most were Jennifer's struggles with the idea that God would allow the suffering and death of children. There is a scene where she is walking through a cemetery she's visited her whole life and realizes, for the first time, how many of the graves belong to young ones; how families would lose four of their children in one year. I think it would speak to any mother, but it touched me especially because a family we know just lost their own little one, the age of our own Michael. Please pray for their family!
4. It was an awesome mail day today. The Desolation of Smaug came from Netflix. I have low expectations for many reasons but ... I'm still excited. Because Bilbo! And Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug!
5. Also we got a haul of used children's books that Keith ordered a week or two ago, including Rikki Tikki Tavi.
6. Last but certainly not least, I got an advanced review copy of a book soon to be released by Wiseblood Books. I am so excited to start reading it!
7. I've been nap training Dominic this week and it's been going really well ... except today. He woke up shortly into my time typing this post and he was screaming rather than his usual fussing (and of course keeping Michael awake ... grrr). Nothing I do will mollify him. So ... I might not be cracking open that new book until tomorrow. Sigh.