Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Six Months and Change

The twins had their six month appointment yesterday. Gregory has been slowly catching up to Dominic in size. First he was two pounds lighter; then one; and now he weighs six ounces more! What a chunk. (He is 14 lb 11 oz; Dominic is 14 lb 5 oz.) In fact, Gregory is in the 4th percentile. I believe that's the highest any of my children have ever gotten!

I've been thinking (stressing) about sleep a lot these days, specifically daytime sleep. Then at some point I realized that while yes, naps are pretty bad still ... nighttime has gotten a lot better from a month ago. So I thought that it would be a good idea to do a sort of "update" here once a month so that, on days I want to run away screaming down the road, I can look back and see that things are slowly but surely getting better.

So ... sleep. Sorry if I've already blogged about anything below ... feel free to skip. I won't be offended. ;)




Dominic: Goes to bed at 7:30. For a while he was sleeping until 4-5 am in his crib. Now he seems to be developing an 11 pm wake up; after that he will go from 2-6 am. He wakes up at the crack of dawn and Keith gets up with him. I did some "nap training" with him three weeks ago and it worked great. But then, just as I breathed a sigh of relief, he decided 20 minute naps were all he needed. Sigh. So, he will go down for 30-45 minutes twice in the morning/afternoon; I let him cry or fuss for ten minutes after he wakes up and sometimes he will fall back asleep again, usually in the late afternoon. It's all very hit or miss right now.


I predict that he'll be one of those teens who stays up all night then falls asleep wherever.

Gregory: he now goes to sleep in our bed BY HIMSELF hallelujah! Either I nurse him to sleep or Keith puts him down; he gets his stuffed dog to keep him company. Occasionally he wakes up once or twice and Keith coaxes him back down. I think we're going to try him in the crib at night soon. Naptime ... sometimes he sleeps in the swing or his bouncy chair for as long as half an hour ...? But that's it. And he is the sleepiest, whiniest, saddest baby because of it. We have a prescription for baby Zantac now; once he's on it I am going to start instituting naptime.


I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to stick both the boys in their cribs for naps or try to train them separately so that Gregory doesn't bother Dominic, who is more likely to sleep. Any thoughts from mothers of multiples on this would be great. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you blog about sleep because it is also a major source of stress in my life right now...or at least the lack of it is. Alcuin seems to be the opposite of your little guys; he's not a bad napper but he's been waking up at night every 2-3 hours, just like when he was a newborn. Last night in a fit of frustration, I threatened to hang him outside in a hammock to sleep; our own rendition of "Rock a bye Baby" : - )

    I'll say a little prayer that nap training goes well!

    ReplyDelete