Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Comfrey


Still crocheting flowers! I'm working on purple now--a lovely lavender color called Comfrey. It goes a little slower for me than knitting, because crochet seems to be much less friendly to multi-tasking. You have to look at it. No reading, or watching television (at least not without a lot of pauses to look up). However, I suspect it might just prove perfect for listening to podcasts, so perhaps I should do that today.

I finished Story of a Soul and am now focusing on The Hidden Face. I'm also reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn before bed. I started it a few weeks ago and couldn't get into it, but now am enjoying it quite a bit. Funny that this is the second work of fiction in a row for me that takes place in New York.

This is the first time I've read it, but for some reason I've always thought of this book as one that everyone's supposed to read in high school. Like Catcher in the Rye, or Animal Farm, or what have you. So ... do people read this in high school? Because it seems a bit old to me. Which I guess may not be a bad thing ... but I feel like so many books are read in high school and then never again, which means that so much is missed in them.

The oven timer is beeping at me, and so I must pull my cookies out of the oven. They are Michael's consolation prize for not going to the library today, since I looked at the clock as we started getting socks on everyone and realized it was far to close to naptime. :( Given the choice he would still have preferred the library.

Linking up with Ginny's yarn along.

7 comments:

  1. those are really lovely flowers and I love that colour! I read the two you listed as HS reading in HS but did not read _A Tree Grows in Brooklyn_until this year also!

    Well, bummer about library and how cool that your son wants to go but yay for cookies!!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a good laugh about this--I have the exact opposite problem. I can't knit and multitask very well, but I can multitask with crocheting like no one's business. Perhaps it has to do with the craft you're most comfortable with. I've been crocheting almost ten years longer than I've been knitting, so crocheting ends up being easier.

    However, I HAVE to look at dolls and plushies when I crochet them--it's far too much counting to do by feel. Perhaps the flowers are the same way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed be the child that prefereth books to cookies. ;)

    Now myself, I like both... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't read TGiB until... last year? Granted, I didn't read CitR either until last year. My school separated the required books into different classrooms. So while I read The Chocolate War (and hated it), other classes read CitR or Tale of Two Cities. I did read Animal Farm, though (and disliked it, but not as much as CW). I don't call hearing TGiB during high school, though. It was always kinda... on the outskirts of classics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crocheted flowers are so lovely. What a beautiful name for the yarn color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, gosh, I don't think I could ever read and knit! Is that an acquired skill? haha. Maybe its an English/continental thing?

    I never read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn in high school (but I didn't read Catcher in the Rye or Animal Farm either).

    ReplyDelete
  7. love that book (tree), one of my all time teen favorite reads. Yay for knitting and reading at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete