Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Seven Quick Takes, aka Survival Mode Blogging (17)

1. Something about today struck me as a "mental health" sort of day and so I ended up eating an obscene amount of cookies. To make myself feel a little less guilty I gave part of every cookie to Michael. Go ahead and judge me. My kid thinks I'm awesome. :-P

2. I also watched too much Lark Rise to Candleford, until the speakers stopped working in the middle of an episode. Grrr.

3. My mom stopped by and treated us all to pizza which was fantastic. And Michael also ate grapes with lunch. So see, I'm not an entirely awful mother today.

4. While Michael napped the babies took turns falling asleep/staring at me mournfully from the bouncy chair until finally, finally, when Michael was stirring in his crib but not ready to really get up yet, Dominic was fast asleep and I figured Gregory and I could just cuddle on the couch for a sorely needed time-out. And then Dominic stirred, and started to fuss. And Gregory was pretty soundly asleep so I thought I could leave him on his own for a few minutes and ... well, I'm sure you can guess how that went. Don't get me wrong ... this is pretty much par for the course (one baby falls asleep, the other pops awake) and most days I can deal with it because (as I keep reminding myself) it is temporary. (I totally believe in sleep training.) But for some reason today it was just a bit much. Both boys started crying and I just couldn't. So I had to step away from them for a bit, and went to hide with Michael in his room for a few minutes.

5. Anyway, things have gotten a bit better in the hour since. And now Gregory is waking up, just as Dominic shows signs of drowsing off.

6. The upshot of all this is that Keith is bringing home thai food for dinner and I really hope he isn't late. Hopefully he will have left work precisely one minute ago. Not that I'm counting or anything.

7. Oh yeah. I'm also doing Jen's 7 posts in 7 days thing again. Or trying to. I don't plan for them to be posts like this. We'll see what happens!

In the meantime, linking up with her for these quick takes!

7 comments:

  1. Sleep training for the win! We have those moments too, where I just need can't deal and have to step away from the crying for a few minutes.

    It's Friday! You got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Ignore the grammar errors up there. Oops.)

      But I just noticed your "100 Things" list and enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. lots of love to you; I know those days too, the snack days as it were; HUGS... hang in there; it will pass; be sure to drink enough water... remember God loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael thinks you're awesome because you are!! Number one made me laugh! Thanks I needed that. Miss you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today was one of those days for me too. I tried to stay awake all day, and barely managed to make it through all of the kids' "naptime" (of course, neither of them slept a wink today). When I finally went up to release them from their room, I ended up laying down in my bed....then Stella joined me for a snuggle. I half-heartedly played "T-Rex" with Sly while still lying down (he was the Daddy T-Rex, and would kill other dinosaurs for us, and bring the "meat" back to me and Stella) for about 10 minutes. Stella and I both ended up falling asleep on the bed for TWO hours, while Sly decided to make a huge mess by pulling out every single toy in the house. Tom came home from work to a sleeping wife and daughter, a wreck of a house, and no dinner. He ended up cooking for us tonight. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Rosemary, I'm sorry you had a rough day. Even if it was just rough in the small things. (Though babies not sleeping simultaneously isn't necessarily a small thing!) I hope you have a weekend full of sleep cooperation! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I count the minutes around the time Ryan catches the bus home on those days!

    I must say you ate well today. Cookies, pizza, AND Thai! You do survival mode right.

    ReplyDelete