Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Last Week at Pitt

I kept wanting to title this post something about going out with a bang, but it would sound like a really bad, really tasteless joke.

My school is having some problems with bomb threats. As in 40 in the past three weeks. At first it was mostly the building where I teach and one of the other main class buildings--handwritten notes left in bathrooms. Some classes had to be canceled, and once I had to teach outside. But it has since spread to many other buildings (including dorms) and now it's always a batch of them, as in three or four buildings at a time. It's very frustrating.

I am only teaching for one more week, and I'm really hoping that the alarms don't go off and force me to climb down 23 flights of stairs less than a week before my due date.

In the meantime, several of my students have notified me they won't be around campus for the rest of the semester because they don't feel safe. I don't blame them (although I really don't think a bomb will go off), and I expect several more will leave campus before the week is up. I will accommodate them the best I can, but it makes things rather a pain in the rear.

We'll see how things go!

PS--Sorry about the weird font changes lately! I'm not sure what's up with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment